Monday, July 13, 2009

Random Things

In just a few short days the moms and Eliot (again, middle brother) will be arriving in Kenya. I think it's going to be a heck of an experience for them, and a great time for me. Also it should mean this blog will be flush with pictures in about 3-4 weeks. Until then, here are some interesting things about my life I don't think I've yet shared.

- I wash my clothes by hand. This involves a basin, a bar of soap, 20 liters of water and elbow grease. Fortunately for me dirty clothes are socially acceptable in the country side.

- The most common news network here is Al Jazeera. East Africa gets their international programming, meaning it's mostly staffed by Europeans. I don't watch it regularly, but I've been generally impressed. Definitely not a hint of Islamic extremism in their international arm.

- My tribal name is Mwethia, which means shepherd. When I told the Chief that my last name meant shepherd in German he immediately christened me with Mwethia. Now as I walk past little kids they repeat "Alex Mwethia! Alex Mwethia!" until I go over to them and shake their hands or wave to them six or so separate times. The little ones here can be quite uplifting.

- I'm not sure what you picture when I talk about an African Chief, but it's probably wrong. Chiefs are like Mayors. My Chief wears a suit to work everyday, is well educated and is one of the friendlier people around.

- Occasionally I cook myself vegetable curry and rice. I'd say the recipe has slowly improved to "good." Most of the time, OK the vast majority of the time, I eat little other than bread, butter, eggs, peanuts/peanut butter, fruit and a Kenyan dish called githeri, which is just beans and corn. Oh what I wouldn't do for two slices of pepperoni from Famous Ray's or a steak and cheese from Mario's.

Next post should be an interesting one. There are all types of good stuff planned for the fam's visit. Come back in about a month to get details!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    This is sort of random but I thought I would reach out. I work for an international non-profit as a coordinator for medical trips, orgnanizing the teams of surgeons, doctors and nurses who go and the logistics on the ground. My main countries are Kenya and Jordan. I was in Nakuru in April and am returning in two weeks to Nairobi and was wondering if there were any PCVs working Nairobi who might have some good advice or the ability to reach out to the children we are seeking to help (ones with facial deformities or burn injuries). An email of someone working in Nairobi will allow me to explain more fully :) I've worked with the Peace Corps on two previous missions (in Dakar, Senegal and Amman) and your insight/expertise added a great deal to the success and feel of the mission. I would appreciate any help, my email is joella.adams@gmail.com.

    Asante,

    Joella

    ReplyDelete